PDA

View Full Version : Racing in 4WD.....

Sleepertrk
01-23-2010, 09:44 PM
I want to get everybodies opinion on this subject. Do you think it is a good idea to race or do a 1/4 mile run in your Nissan Titan with it locked in 4WD HI?? I've been arguing with another fella about his practice of doing this. I say its a very bad idea especially given the weak reputation of the drivetrain in our Titans. Now i'm talking about running on hard surface like concrete or asphalt. He said that it is better than running WOT in mud trying to get out. I disagree because in mud or off-road the wheels have the chance to spin and slip where as they grab and put un-needed strain on the drivetrain on hard surface. So lets hear what you guys think??:Rant:

O-Fivecc
01-23-2010, 11:18 PM
I see you over there in that thread in TT. I thought your last response was little much LOL. He did it once or twice and even admitted that he had no plans of doing it again. With that said, I don't know enough about that shit to really make a judgement call. I would have to say no. Personally,even just racing an early year 2wd Titan IMO isn't smart because of the weak factory rear diff without a TruTrac. But there have been several members who ran over and over agian at the track in 4wd for the whole run. HawaiiTitan was one of them, I just remember him because he always mentioned it. I think the SCed guy that lives in another country (I forget his SN) was actually advised by a few members a while back to launch in 4wd in order to get traction, because he couldn't launch in 2wd. Do I think it is smart? No....but then again, I'm risking blowing up my motor with Nitrous while I'm still making payments on the truck, so I'm not the brightest either LOL...I would probably be too much of a puss to do it though, I'd be afraid my front diff would grenade

Sleepertrk
01-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah i know what you mean about the puss. If our drivetrain was bulletproof and there hadn't been so many problems with the rear diffs. and front diffs. i might not think much of it. I just think a Titan owner is asking for it when you put that much added strain on the system. I'll admit running on juice and still making payments is pretty ballsy too. We all run the dog shit out of these Titans cause frankly they do it so good. I just try and pamper the parts that have been suspect. The motor(knock on wood) hasn't been the Titans achilles heel so far so i wouldn't worry alot about the juice as long as your not gett'n stupid with your shots. LOL

R3DN1CK
01-24-2010, 02:39 AM
it's not reccomended on pavement, but if you read the owners manual you can drive in 4hi upto a certain speed, think it's 45-55 or so... it's more of a turning when it's locked vs going straight as the wheels can't slip.

Twistedfreedom
01-24-2010, 02:58 AM
You will get a better 60ft time in 4x4 but after that it it will just slow you down up top.
Layer1 has raced in 4x4 and did alright.
these trucks can be tricky to launch in 2wd if you haven't had any practice.
I've done it we all have, that light goes green and we sent the gas pedal through the floor and spin half way down the track.

Sleepertrk
01-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Got that right. Thats why my next big mod is a TruTrac. :waytogo:

Sleepertrk
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
So i brought up the point on TT that "Deerslayer" was making a mistake about doing a few runs in 4WD. He got his panties bunched up and got a little snippy. I told him that i wasn't starting crap just trying to raise the point that "I" didn't think it was a good idea. I don't know if i was the last post or if somebody else slapped me back but they evidently Deleted the whole thread. What the fuck is up with that. If you can't have a freak'n discussion about this subject without someone crying and the mods deleting then that forum is outdated and useless. Thank God forthis modern day forum that lets adults be adults and have a healthy discussion on Titan issues. Lets don't have that useless deleting of discussions here, please.

O-Fivecc
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
As long as their is no bashing of members or going 2800 miles off-topic, I think all will be fine. Arguing is going to happen LOL, just don't go saying "Your momma is a dirty whore" kinda of stuff LOL. Its a lot more free here, but we still want people to get good opinions without being told their an idiot. Soemtimes, newbies don't always want to jump in a forum where people are so quick to jump somebody. I am Not pointing anyone or anything out specifically

Sleepertrk
01-24-2010, 08:43 PM
I certainly agree with what you said. Discussions and healthy arguing is sometimes productive as long as it is on the topic. I was attacked as you say the first time i posted on TT and another forum to do with Trap shooting and it made me want to just say fuck it and never go there again. With this site being new we definatly don't want that going on here. I just sometimes feel like i'm 10 years old and mom and dad are watching me when i'm on TT. I don't really care for that at all. I sometimes can be a little smart with my answers and i don't always mean to come across that way. Some people are just way too defensive to be on any forum. Now that i've completely got of the subject of 4wd racing i'll shut my pie hole.

O-Fivecc
01-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Its ok, you are only 2799 miles off topic haha. Yeah I like being able to say, man, I think Pacesetter headers fucking suck LOL or stuff like that

Twistedfreedom
01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Pacesetter headers do suck.

4x4 racing is alight but i wouldnt do it

mde's04Titan
01-25-2010, 12:38 AM
I know my boss had a regular cab short bed S-10 with a supercharged 4.3, and that fool ran 4wd at the track and still would smoke some tires, lol. Of course he didn't have our worries about our diffs! Here's a dumb question seeing as how I don't have, and have never had electric 4wd engagement...What if you just launched in it and then cut it off? Would it disengage?

Twistedfreedom
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
It won't disengage by the time you finish the run

Danielk
02-02-2010, 06:48 PM
i would say in sand its fine but i wouldnt ever race it that way on hard ground... btw why would anyone race a 4x4 anyhow its way heavier then 2x4 and seems like it would just bog it down

Sleepertrk
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
^^^^My thoughts exactly. I guess the same reason they race 18 wheelers. I think its silly to race a 4x4 on a dragstrip but to each his own. If i was gonna build a race truck, i'd go for the lighter 2WD. Now to race a 4x4 locked in 4WD is just saying please tear my truck up quicker. Not to mention its not designed to go over say 55-60 mph while in 4HI. Its just a game of Russian Roulette with your drivetrain. Russian Roulette is always a loosers game eventually.

Danielk
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Yep