PDA

View Full Version : Pipe sizes and mufflers

eddie fonzareli
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
PIPES

theres nothing worng with just doing a muffler swap but if you're looking for a new exhaust setup theres a few different options that you can do.

replacing your factory y-pipe with a flowmaster y-collector will let you build your y-pipe to best fit your needs.

the flowmaster y-collector runs about $30 and are available in 2" in 3" out, 2 1/4 in 3" out, 2 1/2 in 3" out.
you can go bigger but you will lose much low end torq.

running 2" or 2 1/4 pipes will give you excellent low end but not so great up top.
running 2 1/2 pipes will give good low end and good top end.
if you go 3" all the way, you will have not so great low end but you will have alot more on top.
all depends where you want your power most. low, mid or up top.

me myself i am running 2 1/2 in 3" out and love it. perfect for me.

DUALS

if you're running duals or want to run duals, 2 1/4 pipes might be best for you. some have even had good results with 2" pipe. if you're not sure and think those sizes are too small, definitly do not go bigger than 2 1/2 pipe.
again running smaller pipes will give you better low end, running bigger pipes gives you better top end.
it's up to you where you want the most power.

MUFFLERS

all depends on what you want. are you looking for more sound than performance or both ?

magnaflow i hear is one of the best in performance and also has a nice agrressive tone when you get on it.

flowmaster is all about sound and to me they do sound mean.

banks monster exhaust delivers a nice deep rumble, but the 3" y-pipe might be an issue for you. might not be that big of a deal but it is a popular subject.

spintech has a very aggressive tone and is very agressive on the track.

borla are great performance mufflers with a deep agressive tone.

theres is a few more out there to choose from like aero chambers, cherry bomb, dynomax etc...but these are the more common & popular choices.

me myself i have a 3" in/out dynomax bullet that is loud & deep & performs well.

i'm far from an expert but i thought i'd post the little that i know to help out anyone that needs it.

i'm sure our fellow members will chime in and pitch in any knowledge they have.

O-Fivecc
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
2 1/4 for a y-pipe set-up is just about perfect, with a 3" single pipe to muffler. Like Eddie said, do not go bigger then 2.5". And just like he said, 2 1/4 is great also for true-duals. Power is easily moved aorund in the RPM band with exhaust changes like mentioned. OUr OEM B-pipes are 2" and crimp down to probably 1 3/4 after the resonator/cat. Many members like going to 2.25" b-pipes, but there is nothing wrong with the OEM size either. Once you start adding headers, or Nitrous, or cams, you will want to make the jump to at least 2.25". If running all of that, you may want 2.5". I think 2.5" is not so great for low-end, but some more modded members have run good times with that size.

Also, Borla makes some good mufflers too, I believe some members are having good luck with the XR-1 muffler, and it is a flow through.

nickspeed
01-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Borla makes some of the graetest muffler out there! There are a pricey about well worth the money in the long run. The XR-1 is used on many ofl the trophy trucks and class 1 races, so they are race proven.

As for magnaflow it to is really good, Robby Gordon runs then on both the TT and the dakar H3 and if you have ever hear the TT is sound like the meanest thing ever to have hit a race track.

eddie fonzareli
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
borla mufflers sound bad ass. the xr-1 runs about $100

O-Fivecc
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Thats not bad at all, same price as my 22" Magnaflow

eddie fonzareli
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
i just added borla to the list of options.

eddie fonzareli
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
actually borla xr-1 runs anywhere from $100-200

http://www.jegs.com/p/Borla/Borla-XR-1-Race-Mufflers/744683/10002/-1

oval is no different than round. oval is used for fitting when there isn't much room to work with like with a lowered cars/trucks.

dezert-hooligan
01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Borla on a titan, ehhhh.... Borla on a TT or class 1 or anything over 600 horses of course is gonna sound badfuckingass. a lot depends on the type of motor as well when it comes to how it sounds, but of course ya'll knew that.

eddie fonzareli
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
^^^ true that. don't pick a certain muffler for your titan cause it sound bad ass on a ram. it will not sound the same.

eddie fonzareli
01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
spintech now makes bullet mufflers. i think i'll try that one next when mine is burnt.

nickspeed
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Hooligan's spin tech makes his T sould like the general lee!

O-Fivecc
01-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I think I remeber JGrace getting alot of compliments on his exhaust too...wasn't it Spintech?

nickspeed
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
JGrace was spin tech! That was a bitchin truck! His TBSS is pretty fuck sick too, he cam to the last SD meet with it.

O-Fivecc
01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Yeah i almost got one, they are sick and his sure has some serious power

Jon_UT
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Borla on a titan, ehhhh.... Borla on a TT or class 1 or anything over 600 horses of course is gonna sound badfuckingass. a lot depends on the type of motor as well when it comes to how it sounds, but of course ya'll knew that.

my titan sounds sick with my borla xr-1 imo

kha4079
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
once i get cams i wanna run 2 1/2 out to a 3 inch y pipe and a 3 inch cutout with a borla XR-1 :D should sound sick!

nickspeed
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
once i get cams i wanna run 2 1/2 out to a 3 inch y pipe and a 3 inch cutout with a borla XR-1 :D should sound sick!

That's what I want to do too! I already have the maggy 12278 and it an easy swap so I am going to do that for now.

kha4079
01-20-2010, 10:11 PM
youre learning good young padawan :D

nickspeed
01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
youre learning good young padawan :D

What's funny is I know all the hardcore stuff about engines from going to jwt that I never never get to basic like what exhaust is good or whats the best intake cause I an think so much deeper like about coil bind on the valve springs or the amount of lift with the amount of seat time that is going on to even worry about the kind of muffler I got. Hell I had the banks for over a year until I wised up. I learned alot from O-fivecc about exhausts and he goes to the track so has seen a lot of products and setup run down the strip so what he come and tells up is good stuff!

kha4079
01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
What's funny is I know all the hardcore stuff about engines from going to jwt that I never never get to basic like what exhaust is good or whats the best intake cause I an think so much deeper like about coil bind on the valve springs or the amount of lift with the amount of seat time that is going on to even worry about the kind of muffler I got. Hell I had the banks for over a year until I wised up. I learned alot from O-fivecc about exhausts and he goes to the track so has seen a lot of products and setup run down the strip so what he come and tells up is good stuff!

lol me too i still have all my stock piping all the way out to a rusted down magnaflow 12258 lol it sounds badass but i want meaner and deeper :D hopefully i pass all the weld tests i have to do tomorrorow (4 ) so i can work at the valero plant next week at a good pay workin 7- 10 hr shifts for 3 months :D i learn all my stuff from gm lsx engines they are pure top end engines so from what i know, a bigger piping to let the vvt cams breathe will yield better top end over stock piping :D

O-Fivecc
01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, but wil the better top-end be too late for the 1/4 mile? I know you both know more about engines and performance then me, but just make sure you don't move the power to high up, your truck may be a beast from 90-130 MPH, but that wouldn't be good at the track LOL.....Ahhhh, just do whatever, exhaust is easy enough to swap around and good to experiment with LOL

O-Fivecc
01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I learned alot from O-fivecc about exhausts and he goes to the track so has seen a lot of products and setup run down the strip so what he come and tells up is good stuff!

Thanks! I learned a lot from Papa_D, he was the first forum guy I met up with when he did my 2* advance, and we talked many times for over an hour about it because he used to do a lot of research on it. Plus I have probably seen every exhaust set-up ran at the track, which helps me know what is truly performing well.

kha4079
01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
ok what would u suggest with 07+ jwt cams?? :D i think thats what toomnymods has done as well but without a cutout :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0Zh8o_i6c

nickspeed
01-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks! I learned a lot from Papa_D, he was the first forum guy I met up with when he did my 2* advance, and we talked many times for over an hour about it because he used to do a lot of research on it. Plus I have probably seen every exhaust set-up ran at the track, which helps me know what is truly performing well.

See Papa_D took the time to teach you and ur passing that to us and were here to keep passing it to who ever needs it next.

nickspeed
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
ok what would u suggest with 07+ jwt cams?? :D i think thats what toomnymods has done as well but without a cutout :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0Zh8o_i6c

Toomnymods is the one who is paving the way on a lot of what to do and what not to do, but someone has to be the first one to try things! I am always waiting to see what he is going to try next, and hopefully he get his rig all figured out and gets that monster in to the 11's! might have to make him some turbo cams!

dezert-hooligan
01-21-2010, 05:41 AM
JGrace was spin tech! That was a bitchin truck! His TBSS is pretty fuck sick too, he cam to the last SD meet with it.

went racing up and down the streets with J after he got the exhaust put on. that truck was/is fast as hell... wish i could have snagged his performance mods before he sold it or traded it in...

my titan sounds sick with my borla xr-1 imo

they do sound good, but i'm picky with how it sounds. i've heard em all. and performance is the least of my worries especially coming out of a motor pushing as much power as it is. if the muffler is the last thing one is concerned about it just shows that the performance gain from a muffler is negligible. piping is more important than the actual muffler itself. but as far as the borla xr-1, to me its ehhh... to others its BADASSS... to each his own. some even sound the same. others... have their own unique sound and that... to me... is music to my ears! plus everyone i come across that hears my exhaust, that is not a titan owner says... GoTDAMN that sounds dirty meAn!!!

O-Fivecc
01-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I think Toomnymods had 2.5" b-pipes right? I know he had a JBA catback with 2.25 to 3" y-pipe....I mean look at RBs Titan, he hit over 100 MPH in the 1/4 mile, but I think he ran a 13.9, Which is good, but it looks like he has so much top-end, that he lost enough bottom end to actually make his 1/4 mile time slower. I don't know man, I still like the 2.25 pipes haha, even with cams. Give the 2.5" a shot though, because when I go to get cams, I want to know what exhaust is working the best with them

O-Fivecc
01-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Actually, after thinking about it, since we will be having larger TB's and IM's coming out, 2.5 may be best

08BLIZZARD
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
my pos flows are coming off as soon as my income tax gets here.. gonna try a Y-pipe to a borla xr-1 and dump. wanted this setup for a long time but didnt think it was worth spending the money.. but i am hearing more and more people leave flowmaster and getting better perforemance with something else

O-Fivecc
01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
You should see how bad the inside of a FM is LOL. They had one cut open at the exhaust shop that I got my Hag welded in at. Besides all the normal restrictions in the middle (baffles, triangle things, etc) there was actually 2 one way chambers on both sides of the inlet. Air could go in them, but their was no way for it to ome out unless it went against itself. Basically the air got trapped in there. Of course, they do all that for that nice deep growl, but I couldn't believe the rat maze the air had to go through to get out of the muffler

O-Fivecc
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/502.11.jpg

There's a crappy pic

TechTitan08
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
my pos flows are coming off as soon as my income tax gets here.. gonna try a Y-pipe to a borla xr-1 and dump. wanted this setup for a long time but didnt think it was worth spending the money.. but i am hearing more and more people leave flowmaster and getting better perforemance with something else

Man I love my Super 44's, but I'm debating between electric cutouts, or dual Xr1's. Either way, the flows just aren't loud enough for me yet haha

O-Fivecc
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I heard Powersticks are about the loudest you can get

Danielk
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
i have 2 1/4 with a 40 flow and love it but i would like louder pipes