Thread: PRG shackle install

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Default PRG shackle install

Description

These are a super heavy duty shackle designed to replace the extremely weak and break-prone stock shackles. These shackles are almost 2" longer than stock (any longer and they would hit the bottom of the bed) and offer from 0", 1/2", or 1" of drop. These can be used for various applications: as an upgrade for stock Titans that see a lot of off roading, to lower the rear on a street truck, or to slightly offset the lift from our PRG DEAVER 3-LEAF SPRING PACKS. These come with a urethane pivot that allows for much less binding on the shackle pivot and a better overall ride compared to stock. They are pretty easy to install and only require simple hand tools, a jack, and jack stands. These come powdercoated gloss black.
    Link:
    http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/pr...titan_shackles/

The goods!

If your truck has the bed storage box you will need to remove it for the shackle install. See this link for a how-to.

http://www.titanowners.com/forum/sho...ge-box-removal

Shackle install.

Tools:

19mm wrench
    19mm ratchet with breaker bar or 19mm socket and impact wrench
    Prybar
    Jack
    Jack stands
    Grease
    Dremel tool with grinding wheel or metal file
    Wood blocks (4-6 2x6's)

Chock front wheels of truck so it doesnt move.

Jack up one side of the truck using the frame so that the rear wheels are slightly off the ground. Support with jack stand. Repeat on other side of truck. Note: most jacks/jack stands dont go high enough so you may have to use wood blocks under the jack.

Remove lower shackle bolt (19mm). If there is not much tension on the spring pack the bolt should work it's way out just by turning it. If you have too much tension on the spring you can releive it by either jacking the truck up higher or lower. You will know if there is some tension as the bolt will start to come out at an angle from the force of the spring.

Now remove the upper shackle bolt. To get this bolt out all the way it must clear the frame. To get it to clear the frame jack up your axle thus lifting the spring pack up against the bottom of the bed. There is a seam about 3/4" deep on the bottom of the bed. If the shackle bracket hits this seem the bolt will not clear the frame. I found that using a prybar on spring while jacking up the axle I was able to guide the shackle bracket wide of the seem giving me the height I needed to remove the upper bolt. If you are thinking that you can just put the bolt in the other way upon install you cant. It will hit the frame and you wont be able to seat the nut/bolt.

Using pry bar and jack to raise shackle mount/leaf high enough for the upper bolt to clear the frame.

Remove shackle

OEM shackle and PRG shackle

There are 2 locating tabs on the shackle mount that need to be ground off or they will not allow for the PRG shackle to seat properly and if not removed they will tear at the bushing on the new shackle.

Locating tabs:

Locating tabs ground away. Took about 5 minutes and 2 grinding wheels with my Dremel tool.

Intstall the new shackle top bolt first. Your leaf spring should still be jacked up and at the proper height to get the bolt over the frame. For the lower bolt slowly lower your jack/axle until the bottom shackle hole lines up with the shackle mount. Install bolt and nut and torgue both to 63 ft lbs...

For the other side you will have to jack up the axle to get the top shackle bolt hole above the frame as you did when you removed it. Install top bolt/nut and then lower the axle to line up the lower holes. Again, torque to 63 ft lbs.

Note: I dont know if this kit is supposed to come with instuctions but mine did not. Some have used bearing grease on the bushings but I was not aware of this until after the fact (thanks Steve). If my shackles start to make noise I will back the bolts out some and add grease. I am not real keen on the idea because grease and torque do not do well together. Kinda like greasing your lug nuts.

I used the middle mount hole on the PRG shackles and got roughly a 1/2" of drop on the rear. with the PRG mini lift I had a small amount of rake but now she sits level.

Some pics of the weak welds on the OEM shackles.

Oh, I used the mmiddle mounting hole on the shackles which gave me about 3/4" drop and got rid of any remaining rake I had with the mini lift.

Thanks

Great write up! I am going to get some those one of these days!
    2008 KC XE BT
    Mods: DIY Intake mod, K&N Air filter,JWT CS2 CAMS, 09 piping/12278 18" Magnaflow

Thread Information