Thread: Quick how to on tinting taillights

Thanks

Default Quick how to on tinting taillights

This is what I did and it turned out beautifully.
    You will need: 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper, 1 can of VHT Niteshades (got mine at Advanced Auto), I can of clear coat, and some painters tape (if you want to leave the reverse clear lenses untinted).

First, removing taillights: Lower your tailgate, you will notice 2 bolts/screws on the inside where the taillight is. Remove those. Then, pull the taillight straight back toward you. On the front there is 2 clips, and you will want to pull the light back to get it out of the clips. Then just give each bulb harness a 1/2 turn and they should pull right out, then your taillights are free.

Second wet sanding: I did mine in a sink with running water, but a hose or 5 gallon bucket is fine, just keep the sandpaper wet. Using the 1000 grit sandpaper,wet sand the entire surface of light housing that you want painted. Then dry them.

Third, tinting them: Pick a place that does not have a lot of lint, dust, or dirt flying around. Hold VHT can about 5 inches from light housing. Start spraying a couple inches off to the side of the light, then just pass the spray over the light housing. It takes probably about 7 or 8 passes over the light to get the whole thing covered. Make sure each pass that their isn't any "un-tinted" areas or spots that got less tinting. If this happened, then just carefully and lightly spray over that area. Whatever you do, just make sure you are passing the can over the housing and not just pointing and spraying one section.

After the first coat, let sit for maybe 5 minutes, then continually add coats until you reach your desired level of darkness, waiting about 5 minutes between coats.
    After they are as dark as you want them, let them sit for about 4 hours. Then take the 1500 grit sandpaper, and again WET SAND over the dried VHT. Wet sand the entire area that you just painted and dry them. Then add clear coat in the same manner you added the VHT, waiting a few minutes between coats.

I put probably 5 coats of VHT and a couple clear coats. You can tape off the reverse lenses and leave them clear if you desire. This is what I did, the reverse lenses are shaded a little lighter then the rest of the light. I also wet sanded and put one coat of VHT on my 3rd brake light. They look so nice in the middle of the day, I will have to get some mid day pics

tinted tail lights 002.JPGtinted tail lights 003.JPGtinted tail lights 004.JPGtinted tail lights 005.JPG
    Last edited by O-Fivecc; 01-30-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Performance: Bullydog GT, AEM intake, JBA catback with 22" Mag muffler, no cats, 07 intake manifold
    Other mods: Nismo SS gauges, Graphite OEM 20's w/ Yokohama Parada Spec-X's, Graphite engine pieces, Springtech rear shackle, tinted tails and 3rd brake light, modded OEM headlights, Painted Eye-lids, Billet Grill, 8000k DDM HIDs in headlights and fogs, armada airdam, 9" LCD monitor

13.33 at 103 w/ Nitrous

Thanks

Awesome write up!
    2008 KC XE BT
    Mods: DIY Intake mod, K&N Air filter,JWT CS2 CAMS, 09 piping/12278 18" Magnaflow

Thanks

this is what this site needs to bring people to it... good job
    2008.5 Nissan Titan SE CC SWB 2WD Timberline Green
    -S&B Filters CAI
    -Banks Monster Exhaust
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't care if anybody likes me or not, just so I'm popular!

Thanks

Thanks for the write up. This Sunday my projects will be to finish up my headlight mod and find my stock tails so I can mess around with them.

For reference: Pep Boys also sells VHT paint.

2007 LE Crew Cab || 22x9 Axis Titan || 305/45/22 Pirelli Scorpion ATR || 35W 4300K Driving 5000K Fogs || LED Tail lights || 2.5" NCD Leveling kit Custom debadged grille || DTRL LEDs || Headlight Mod

Thanks

Thank you for this tip! I was thinking of tinting my custom LED tail lights for trucks which I got from the internet. They are too bright on their own and should be tinted to prevent other drivers from being blinded by them especially at night. I will search the net for the tint thanks!

Thread Information