PIPES

theres nothing worng with just doing a muffler swap but if you're looking for a new exhaust setup theres a few different options that you can do.

replacing your factory y-pipe with a flowmaster y-collector will let you build your y-pipe to best fit your needs.

the flowmaster y-collector runs about $30 and are available in 2" in 3" out, 2 1/4 in 3" out, 2 1/2 in 3" out.
you can go bigger but you will lose much low end torq.

running 2" or 2 1/4 pipes will give you excellent low end but not so great up top.
running 2 1/2 pipes will give good low end and good top end.
if you go 3" all the way, you will have not so great low end but you will have alot more on top.
all depends where you want your power most. low, mid or up top.

me myself i am running 2 1/2 in 3" out and love it. perfect for me.

DUALS

if you're running duals or want to run duals, 2 1/4 pipes might be best for you. some have even had good results with 2" pipe. if you're not sure and think those sizes are too small, definitly do not go bigger than 2 1/2 pipe.
again running smaller pipes will give you better low end, running bigger pipes gives you better top end.
it's up to you where you want the most power.

MUFFLERS

all depends on what you want. are you looking for more sound than performance or both ?

magnaflow i hear is one of the best in performance and also has a nice agrressive tone when you get on it.

flowmaster is all about sound and to me they do sound mean.

banks monster exhaust delivers a nice deep rumble, but the 3" y-pipe might be an issue for you. might not be that big of a deal but it is a popular subject.

spintech has a very aggressive tone and is very agressive on the track.

borla are great performance mufflers with a deep agressive tone.

theres is a few more out there to choose from like aero chambers, cherry bomb, dynomax etc...but these are the more common & popular choices.

me myself i have a 3" in/out dynomax bullet that is loud & deep & performs well.

i'm far from an expert but i thought i'd post the little that i know to help out anyone that needs it.

i'm sure our fellow members will chime in and pitch in any knowledge they have.