Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipe sizes and mufflers

Full Access Member eddie fonzareli's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Pipe sizes and mufflers

PIPES

theres nothing worng with just doing a muffler swap but if you're looking for a new exhaust setup theres a few different options that you can do.

replacing your factory y-pipe with a flowmaster y-collector will let you build your y-pipe to best fit your needs.

the flowmaster y-collector runs about $30 and are available in 2" in 3" out, 2 1/4 in 3" out, 2 1/2 in 3" out.
    you can go bigger but you will lose much low end torq.

running 2" or 2 1/4 pipes will give you excellent low end but not so great up top.
    running 2 1/2 pipes will give good low end and good top end.
    if you go 3" all the way, you will have not so great low end but you will have alot more on top.
    all depends where you want your power most. low, mid or up top.

me myself i am running 2 1/2 in 3" out and love it. perfect for me.

DUALS

if you're running duals or want to run duals, 2 1/4 pipes might be best for you. some have even had good results with 2" pipe. if you're not sure and think those sizes are too small, definitly do not go bigger than 2 1/2 pipe.
    again running smaller pipes will give you better low end, running bigger pipes gives you better top end.
    it's up to you where you want the most power.

MUFFLERS

all depends on what you want. are you looking for more sound than performance or both ?

magnaflow i hear is one of the best in performance and also has a nice agrressive tone when you get on it.

flowmaster is all about sound and to me they do sound mean.

banks monster exhaust delivers a nice deep rumble, but the 3" y-pipe might be an issue for you. might not be that big of a deal but it is a popular subject.

spintech has a very aggressive tone and is very agressive on the track.

borla are great performance mufflers with a deep agressive tone.

theres is a few more out there to choose from like aero chambers, cherry bomb, dynomax etc...but these are the more common & popular choices.

me myself i have a 3" in/out dynomax bullet that is loud & deep & performs well.

i'm far from an expert but i thought i'd post the little that i know to help out anyone that needs it.

i'm sure our fellow members will chime in and pitch in any knowledge they have.

Thanks

2 1/4 for a y-pipe set-up is just about perfect, with a 3" single pipe to muffler. Like Eddie said, do not go bigger then 2.5". And just like he said, 2 1/4 is great also for true-duals. Power is easily moved aorund in the RPM band with exhaust changes like mentioned. OUr OEM B-pipes are 2" and crimp down to probably 1 3/4 after the resonator/cat. Many members like going to 2.25" b-pipes, but there is nothing wrong with the OEM size either. Once you start adding headers, or Nitrous, or cams, you will want to make the jump to at least 2.25". If running all of that, you may want 2.5". I think 2.5" is not so great for low-end, but some more modded members have run good times with that size.

Also, Borla makes some good mufflers too, I believe some members are having good luck with the XR-1 muffler, and it is a flow through.
    Performance: Bullydog GT, AEM intake, JBA catback with 22" Mag muffler, no cats, 07 intake manifold
    Other mods: Nismo SS gauges, Graphite OEM 20's w/ Yokohama Parada Spec-X's, Graphite engine pieces, Springtech rear shackle, tinted tails and 3rd brake light, modded OEM headlights, Painted Eye-lids, Billet Grill, 8000k DDM HIDs in headlights and fogs, armada airdam, 9" LCD monitor

13.33 at 103 w/ Nitrous

Thanks

Borla makes some of the graetest muffler out there! There are a pricey about well worth the money in the long run. The XR-1 is used on many ofl the trophy trucks and class 1 races, so they are race proven.

As for magnaflow it to is really good, Robby Gordon runs then on both the TT and the dakar H3 and if you have ever hear the TT is sound like the meanest thing ever to have hit a race track.
    2008 KC XE BT
    Mods: DIY Intake mod, K&N Air filter,JWT CS2 CAMS, 09 piping/12278 18" Magnaflow

Thanks

borla mufflers sound bad ass. the xr-1 runs about $100

Thanks

Thats not bad at all, same price as my 22" Magnaflow
    Performance: Bullydog GT, AEM intake, JBA catback with 22" Mag muffler, no cats, 07 intake manifold
    Other mods: Nismo SS gauges, Graphite OEM 20's w/ Yokohama Parada Spec-X's, Graphite engine pieces, Springtech rear shackle, tinted tails and 3rd brake light, modded OEM headlights, Painted Eye-lids, Billet Grill, 8000k DDM HIDs in headlights and fogs, armada airdam, 9" LCD monitor

13.33 at 103 w/ Nitrous

Thanks

i just added borla to the list of options.

Thanks

actually borla xr-1 runs anywhere from $100-200

http://www.jegs.com/p/Borla/Borla-XR...44683/10002/-1

oval is no different than round. oval is used for fitting when there isn't much room to work with like with a lowered cars/trucks.

Full Access Member dezert-hooligan's Avatar
    Thanks

Borla on a titan, ehhhh.... Borla on a TT or class 1 or anything over 600 horses of course is gonna sound badfuckingass. a lot depends on the type of motor as well when it comes to how it sounds, but of course ya'll knew that.
    <_____>

Thanks

^^^ true that. don't pick a certain muffler for your titan cause it sound bad ass on a ram. it will not sound the same.

Thanks

spintech now makes bullet mufflers. i think i'll try that one next when mine is burnt.

Thread Information